Reverend Robert Cary Reverend Larry Gray
Reverend Dennis Hopper Reverend Bruce Jeffries
The CH-F Chaplaincy Program provides an added dimension of spiritual healing to the medical care we already offer to our patients and their families and friends. Questions about the Chaplaincy Program should be directed to Rhonda Evans, COO.Chaplains will provide a spiritual healing presence for our patients.
Chaplains will play two important roles:
- Chaplains will be “on call” and available to our patients should the need arise. Chaplains can be present to provide spiritual care through empathic listening, crisis intervention, conflict resolution, facilitation of communication, risk screenings, grief and loss care and more.
- Chaplains will be making rounds. Chaplains may be given patient census information and make routine visits to CH-F patients. They will be present to encourage, listen and support our patients.
How do I contact a chaplain?
The Social Service Designee, Charge Nurse or his/her designee will contact the appropriate pastor or chaplain on behalf of a patient. The on-call calendar will be located at the nurses desk and admitting desk.
- If the situation is emergent, staff will take necessary steps to notify the appropriate pastor or chaplain.
- Patients will designate a pastor or “on call” chaplain upon admission. All patients have the right to request that chaplains not visit them during routine rounds.
CH-F staff can consider a pastoral or chaplain referral when patients or loved ones face:
- Religious needs, interests or concerns
- Anger/depressive behaviors
- Inability to cope
- A threatening diagnosis or nursing home placement
How are CH-F Chaplains chosen and trained?
- CH-F Chaplains are volunteers. They are pastors in our local community, but leave their denominational calling behind while performing chaplaincy duties.
- Each chaplain has completed training with Heartland Regional Medical Center’s Chaplaincy Program, been extensively orientated at CH-F and is compliant with security and privacy standards for our institution.